Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Haiku: Please Don't Make Me Leave / I'm Not Getting On That Plane / I Need More Time Here

Friday. The last day. I woke up knowing that in about 24 hours I would be on a Boeing 737 en route to Hong Kong. I didn't like that thought.

We started the day with a friendly basketball game against the UEF basketball team. If you know me at all, you know that I am the least athletic person on the planet. I can run, but that's it. I have less coordination than a two-year-old with bad coordination. So I pretty much just ran around and sweated a lot and eventually we lost the basketball game. Then we played soccer against them, I did the same thing and we won that game (your welcome).

We then exchanged gifts with all our Vietnamese friends and that was really pretty sad because that was the last time we would see most of them. From there we went to lunch at a noodle place and it was so delicious but the hot soup was really not what I was feeling after spending three hours in a blazing hot basketball gym...it was the same soup I had had the night before so that was cool because I was like a soup master.

After lunch we finally got back to the hotel and showered (god I was gross after sweating so much) And we had some free time before we went to dinner on a boat on the Saigon river. I spent that time in the pool and packing which was even sadder.

Dinner was really fun though. We ate a lot of really good food, most of which we had had before but it was still delicious. and really cool to eat on a boat in suits. Mine fit really well. After dinner the boat left the dock for a little cruise along the river which was spectacular. Seeing the city by night was amazing. But also very emotional because by the time the cruise was over (about 11:00) we knew we had to be in the lobby ready to go to the airport in about 4 hours. 4 hours left in Saigon. That was it. We finished up our packing and went to Turtle Lake, which is a little man-made pond in the middle of a roundabout near the hotel.
Turtle Lake by day

This was a very nice was to end the trip, everyone sitting atop that little platform looking over the city we had all grown to love so much. Some of us took some time to walk around those little paths and enjoy the street food that was being served around the edges of the pond. Eventually we decided it was time to head back. We had to finish packing and get our stuff together before it was time to leave. I had finished packing so I hung around our room with a few other people while Kohler packed. Meanwhile my good buddy Evan was in the bathroom throwing a green sticky rice cake in the bathtub and enjoying the noise it made. (Evan's blog can be found here: http://evanozaroffvietnamplus3.blogspot.com/ ) and in between packing items, Kohler spent his time throwing coconut candies across the room at poor Kristen who had done nothing to deserve the sort of treatment she was getting. (Kristen's blog can be found here: http://brucespringsteen.net/ )

Before we knew it, it was time to leave. We gathered in the hotel lobby, checked out of the hotel and boarded the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment